Destinations Covered in Bodhgaya and Sarnath Buddhist Pilgrimage Tour:
Varanasi, Sarnath, Nalanda, Rajgir, Bodhgaya.
- Varanasi: Varanasi is the spiritual capital of India and one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world. The city draws Hindu and Buddhist Pilgrims from across the world because of its very high spiritual significance in the religious traditions. The major tourist attraction of the city is the boat ride on the river Ganges and numerous temples and Ghats on the holy river the Ganges.
- Sarnath: Sarnath, is located around 10 km from the ancient city of Varanasi and is one of the most important centers of pilgrimage for the Buddhists. It was here where Buddha preached his first sermon and the Dhammacakkra was set rolling through the preaching of Dhammacakkapavattana Sutta.
- Nalanda: Nalanda, a “UNESCO World Heritage Site” was the home of a famous university and is situated around 70 km from Bodhgaya and 100 km south of Patna. Two chief disciples of Buddha, Sariputra, and Moggallana, belonged to Nalanda. This was possibly the first international residential university in the world, where more than 2,000 teachers and 10,000 monk students from all over the Buddhist world lived and studied more than 100 subjects.
- Rajgir: Rajgir is one of the most important Buddhist pilgrimage sites. This is the place where Buddha subdued Nalagiri, the charging elephant, which is counted as one of the major miracles of Buddha.
- Bodhgaya: Bodhgaya is the holiest site on every Buddhist Pilgrimage and it is the very place where Shakyamuni attained enlightenment under the Bodhi tree. It is a “World Heritage Site” situated in the Indian state of Bihar. During the time of Buddha, this place was called Uruvela and is located on the banks of river Niranjana. The first temple in Bodhgaya was built by King Asoka in 250 BC. The main monastery of Bodhgaya was earlier called Bodhimanda Vihara and is now called the Mahabodhi temple.
The tour takes you to the three most visited Buddhist pilgrimage sites, including the two important places Bodhgaya and Sarnath. In addition, we will take you to one of the oldest universities in the world (Nalanda).
Highlights of the tour:
- The 2 major places of Buddhist pilgrimage mentioned by Buddha (Bodhgaya and Sarnath)
- The place of supreme miracle ,where Buddha subdued the charging elephant Nalagiri (Rajgir)
- Two UNESCO World Heritage Sites (Bodhgaya and Nalanda)
- One of the oldest universities in the world (Nalanda Mahavihara, 5th to 10th Century AD))